BFA in Theatre: Teacher Certification Track
Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree
ORU offers the only BFA in Theatre Teacher Certification in the state of Oklahoma, and is one of only nine universities in the US. The Theatre Teacher Certification BFA provides the student with Oklahoma secondary teaching certification upon graduation. The certification equips the student to teach theatre and speech in high schools throughout Oklahoma, and enables them to pass teaching certification tests for other states, if required. Students study all aspects of theatre, speech and debate along with educational methods and have access to the Education Technology Lab at ORU's NCATE accredited College of Education. The BFA provides the student-teacher more access to courses within the Theatre specific subject area, as opposed to general education classes. The BFA student-teacher possesses a wider and deeper knowledge of core Theatre curriculum which will prove to serve them as they navigate their own classrooms post-graduation.
A BFA in teacher certification student will experience:
- Improvisational and sketch acting.
- Designing and building sets.
- Designing and sewing costumes.
- Casting and directing a play.
- Debating, dramatic reading and tournament judging.
- Speech writing and delivery.
- Developing educational aids via technology.
- Methods for teaching exceptional students.
- Methods for teaching those for whom English is a second language.
- Methods for managing a classroom.
- Observing, working and networking at four local schools.
- A semester of intern teaching.
SOFTWARE SKILLS ACQUIRED
- Non-linear PowerPoint
- Computer Assisted Design
- Smart Board
- Production Design Software
BFA Teacher Certification graduates from ORU are extremely successful at passing the tests to become licensed to teach secondary theatre. Each graduate is eligible to attain teaching licenses in other fields by passing additional tests. Graduates have earned a professional degree in theatre and may work in a variety of fields including acting, television, radio, church drama, theatrical production, applied theatre, public and private education, publishing, law and business.
What Do You Have to Look Forward To?
Being immersed in both theatre and education classes...working with your hands to both create sets and lesson plans, and meeting some of the most talented people on campus.
COURSE OFFERINGS INCLUDE
- Acting Courses
- Introduction to Theatre
- Theatrical Production & Design Courses
- Theatre History
- Argumentation and Persuasion
- Advanced Public Speaking
- Theatre Lab & Applied Theatre
- Oklahoma Intercollegiate Legislature
- Model United Nations
- Field Based Experience/Practicum
- Foundations and Methods of Education
- School Health Care
- Student Teaching
- Methods of Teaching Communication Arts
Current degree plan for this major is available for download.
Director of Theatre